Standon Calling 2018
Fri 27 Jul 2018
Standon Lordship, Hertfordshire
Artists watched: Sam Fender, Jade Bird, Hudson Taylor, Pale Waves, Amazons, Meggie Brown, Tom Walker, Cuban Brothers, Nelson Can, Shame, Gengahr, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Pip Blom, London Astrobeat Orchestra, Queen Zee, Bootleg Beatles, Dream Wife, Gaz Coombes, Marmozets, Goldfrapp, Confidence Man
The first year that we've got a sponsorship credit on a big festival! It's also my favourite small-ish local-ish festival at the moment and while I was busy for the weekend, I had a few highlights, so I'm going to count down my top five sets ...
5. Pip Blom - a Dutch band who have definitely got a bit of "next big thing" about them.
4. Queen Zee - amazing energy on stage. And good use of a skateboard too!
3. Confidence Man - a bit of a surprise for me as I don't normally hang around the dance tents/stages, but they had some great tunes and are utterly full of swagger like no-one I can remember for a long time.
2. Gaz Coombes - his solo stuff is pretty strong at the moment, particularly this year's World's Strongest Man album. And I chatted with him before the gig too, and he was really nice!
1. Dream Wife - their live sets are as good as their debut album. And getting better and better too.
I also saw:
If you like this blog, follow us on Twitter!