West Ham United 1 Manchester City 1
Saturday 24 October 2020
Another game that West Ham amazingly managed to get something out of after expecting another sound thrashing, and thanks once again to another wondergoal, this time from Michail Antonio.
Antonio's spectacular acrobatic overhead volley from Vladimir Coufal's cross put the Hammers ahead at London Stadium.
Man City substitute Phil Foden equalised six minutes after coming on at the start of the second half, producing a really good turn to score following Joao Cancelo's pass.
City dominated possession and sent on Kevin de Bruyne, who had missed the previous two games through injury, but could not find a winner and remain anchored in the bottom half of the table after five games.
Having lost their opening two games, West Ham have taken eight points from their past four matches, and can add a well-earned point against City to impressive wins over Leicester and Wolves.
Last Sunday, it was Manuel Lanzini who came up with a brilliant goal as the Hammers battled back from 3-0 down to draw 3-3 at Tottenham.
Lanzini's heroics were not enough to earn him a starting place as Antonio produced a wonder goal, beating Ruben Dias to power an overhead kick beyond Ederson and give David Moyes' side a lead against the run of the play.
City complained there was a handball in the build-up by Tomas Soucek, which VAR checked. The goal would have been ruled out if Soucek, who had kept the ball in play before passing for Coufal to set up Antonio, had been judged to have deliberately handled - but VAR ruled that was not the case.
West Ham worked hard but had to dig deep to secure a first point against City since January 2016.
Keeper Lukasz Fabianski produced two excellent saves to keep out substitute De Bruyne, Raheem Sterling and Riyad Mahrez as City finished strongly.
In the end it was an impressive point for West Ham, who had lost their previous eight games against City by an aggregate score of 25-3.
- Michail Antonio has scored 11 goals in his last 12 Premier League games.
- Since the Premier League restarted in June, only Harry Kane (12) has scored more goals than Antonio (11).
- Antonio has scored against Arsenal, Leicester and Manchester City this season.
- David Moyes registered his first point against Manchester City in the Premier League since March 2013, when he won 2-0 with Everton. Prior to this game, he had lost the past seven against City in the top flight.
- West Ham have lost two of their past 10 Premier League games (W4 D4 L2), going unbeaten in each of the past four (W2 D2).
- All 39 of Michail Antonio's Premier League goals have been scored from inside the penalty area.